From a Saudi Arabian soccer team to a skate mentor in Ghana to a centenarian who just jumped out of a plane, women in sport is a major theme of today's show. Also featured: a health care workers' strike, a border wall extension in the U.S., and the impact of pop stars on the U.S. economy.
This Friday's news quiz covers topics featured throughout the week on The World from A to Z:
1. As reported on Monday’s show: The U.S. surgeon general recently reported that there’s an urgent health concern related to what issue?
2. Name the U.S. senator, the first woman to represent the state of California (after an election in 1992), who passed away recently at age 90.
3. One of the disputes in the South China Sea involves China and what other country, which has had a Mutual Defense Treaty with the U.S. since 1951?
4. What is officially the longest river in the world, though a research project planned for next year will attempt to prove the Amazon actually deserves the title?
5. Members of the U.S. House of Representatives voted 216-210 to remove a House Speaker for the first time. Name this former Speaker of the House.
6. Representatives from the European Union recently visited what country, marking the first time they held a meeting in a nation that isn’t a member of the E.U.?
7. NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope recently detected some mysterious, planet-like objects apparently orbiting each other in the nebula of what famous constellation?
8. What kind of animal was used as a form of diplomacy between the U.S. and China following President Richard Nixon’s visit to the Asian country in 1972?
9. In what Middle Eastern nation, where women weren’t allowed to drive a car until 2018, is a new, women’s national soccer team drawing passionate players to the sport?
10. The largest health care strike in U.S. history began this week and involved what medical provider, which serves 13 million Americans nationwide?