The World Health Organization has a new initiative to address social isolation -- how widespread is it? In Haiti, an aid organization helps reunite children from orphanages with their families. In Australia, a rare marsupial is reintroduced to a western state. And we're having a look at U.S. Thanksgiving travel and the efforts of high school football players to celebrate a team manager.
Please note: Our show will have broadcasts next Monday and Tuesday but be off the air the rest of the week for the Thanksgiving holiday.
This Friday's news quiz covers topics featured throughout the week on The World from A to Z:
1. As featured on Monday’s show: A change from 18% in 1980 to 6% in 2022 marked a significant decrease in the number of Americans who’d done what?
2. A memorial dedicated during this week in 1982 was initially inscribed with the names of almost 58,000 U.S. troops who’d served in what conflict?
3. What Alaskan city was under a “snow emergency” this week after receiving the most snow this early in the season since 1994?
4. What Italian volcano, which is the highest and one of the most active in Europe, fired lava and ash high into the air as it erupted earlier this week?
5. In what nation were residents of Grindavík evacuated after thousands of earthquakes indicated a volcanic eruption was imminent?
6. Before being caught and returned to its enclosure at a circus, what kind of animal recently got free and roamed an Italian town for hours?
7. What two world leaders held a meeting on Wednesday amid high tensions between their two nations?
8. In which chamber of the U.S. Congress did a continuing resolution – a bill to temporarily fund the government for the weeks ahead – pass this Tuesday with a vote of 336 - 95?
9. A man in Iowa was recently awarded a Guinness World Record for his collection of what items, which numbered 69,255?
10. What nation, which is the poorest in the Western Hemisphere, has been closing its orphanages, prompting an aid organization to help reunite children with their families?